THE BEAUFORT BAR CELEBRATES MUSIC, MAGIC & DRAMA WITH NEW MENU
Inspired by the three founders of The Savoy Theatre; dramatist WS Gilbert, composer Arthur Sullivan and hotelier Richard D’Oyly Carte, who made the magic happen
WEBSITE: Beaufort Bar
Famous for its dark opulent interiors, dramatic serves and live performances, The Savoy’s Beaufort Bar has launched a brand new menu this October that both celebrates the hotel bar’s theatrical history and marks its future direction. Entitled Music, Magic & Drama, the new menu seeks to truly distinguish the Beaufort Bar from the American Bar by elevating the hotel bar experience through a refined signature offering, including grower Champagnes and sparkling wine, expertly prepared mixed drinks, and a well-chosen, in-depth whisky selection.
A collaborative effort from Assistant Bars Manager, Joe Harper and the newly appointed Head Bartender Elon Soddu, as well as the whole Beaufort Bar team, Music, Magic & Drama was inspired by the three founders of The Savoy Theatre; dramatist WS Gilbert, composer Arthur Sullivan and hotelier Richard D’Oyly Carte, who made the magic happen. As well as embodying the three main elements that make up the Beaufort Bar’s identity, each of the three sections of Music, Magic and Drama is dedicated to these three forward thinking and creative men, who, with the success of the Savoy Theatre, made the Savoy hotel what it is now.
“If Art is how we decorate space, then Music is how we decorate time.” Taking inspiration from this famous adage, and from the memorable musical performances that have taken place at The Savoy, the Music section of the Beaufort Bar’s new menu has both celebratory and temporal overtones. Designed for the early evening, this part of the menu evokes the bubbly, sociable and expectant mood felt at the start of a night out through light mixed drinks, wines and Champagnes. Offering an impressive selection of grower Champagnes and English sparkling wines, the new menu has an emphasis on style rather than vintage. The mixed drinks in this section also reflect a light, ebullient atmosphere, featuring vodka and rum predominantly, perfectly complemented by fragrant, fruity and effervescent ingredients.
The whole point of Magic is that it loses its enchantment once its trick is revealed. With this in mind, the Magic section of the Beaufort Bar’s new menu uses interesting and often mystifying techniques in the construction of its drinks, as well as liquids that have been manipulated on the way to the bottle through added botanicals, fermentation or fortification. Focusing on gins, mezcals and tequilas, this part of the menu also features Port and sherry as well as non-toxic tonics and Eau De Vie.
Alluding to the Beaufort Bar’s previous incarnation as The Savoy’s cabaret stage, and its jet-black and burnished gold décor the Drama section of the menu is all about dark, atmospheric drinks that take guests late into the evening. Evoking this theatrical theme, the main spirits featured in this section, whisky, Calvados, Armagnac, grappa and Cognac are potent, rich and impactful. Expanding its representation of world whiskies, and offering small, rare batches, the whiskies at the Beaufort Bar range in style, age, region and complexity, pleasing both malt connoisseurs and curious neophytes. Balancing the whisky component in each serve with aperitifs, liqueurs and Champagnes, the mixed drinks in this section are not all merely stirred down and brown and guests can choose from both lighter long drinks and strong short blends. Examples from the new menu include:
• Heard It On The Grapevine – 25 Ciroc Vodka, aloe vera, Martini Ambrato vermouth, Grape Cordial, Rathfinny Blanc de Blancs
• Never Ending Tour – 20 Barcardi 4yr old rum, Fig Chardonnay, Banana liquer, Verjus, lime, sugar • Lamiable, Grand Cru, NV
• Benoît Lahaye, Grand Cru, Brut Nature, NV
• Rathfinny, Rosé, Sussex, 2015 • Gusborne, Blanc de Blanc, Appledore, Kent, 2012 MAGIC
• The Founder – 22 Patron Silver Tequila, Martini Rubino Vermouth, Verjus, Tomato and Celery Shrub Audemus Umami Spirit
• Light Bulb Moments – 20 Star Of Bombay Gin, Rose and Strawberry Kombucha, Martini Bitter, Champagne Cordial and Electric Bitters
• Only The Finest – 20 Woodford Reserve Double Oaked bourbon, Campari, caramelised sesame and peanuts, Pedro Ximenez sherry, Cocchi Vermouth Di Torino
• The Dramatist – 30 Jack Daniels Savoy Single Barrel whisky, vanilla syrup, Artemis cold brewed coffee concentrate, Mr Black’s coffee amaro and Louis Roederer Champagne
• Clynelish 37-year-old – 120 • Highland Park 1957 20-year-old – 650
• Lagavulin 12-year-old – 35
• Starward’s 10th Anniversary – 30
Music, Magic and Drama lets the drinks and the products speak for themselves and features elegant, minimal and classic serves. Each section also features non-alcoholic options that are as complex and sophisticated as the other drinks on the menu.
Having recently joined The Savoy as Executive Chef, one of Fabrice Lasnon’s early tasks was to turn Music, Magic and Drama into a culinary experience, where each section has a food offering that perfectly complements the drinks. The result is a beautifully balanced bar dining menu that features the likes of caviar in the Music section and decadent desserts to match the drinks in Drama.